Dental Exams & Cleanings
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Their number one priority is to make you comfortable. Their second is to help your teeth. They will immediately stop if you feel any pain. Friendly, professional environment with all the newest tech. Flat screens in every room that you get to choose the channel to while they work on your teeth. Great distraction. If you need dental help, there is absolutely no question. Go here!!!
Anonymous Google May 12, 2023
I do not typically leave reviews for anything, but I had to for these great people. Having had a traumatic dental experience in the past, I have been very lax about my dental needs due to fear and anxiety. So, when my tooth pain was more than I could handle I called Kelly Family Dentistry. From the time I sat down in the chair, to the escort to the receptionist after my appointment, I was treated with respect and kindness every step of the way. They explained everything to me and were continually asking me how I was doing during the procedure. Thank you, thank you Dr. Kelly for the great respect you showed me and for letting me see what a dental experience is supposed to be like. A huge shout out to his staff.....in my book you guys are absolutely top notch!!
Arleen KellyFamilyDentistry.com May 5, 2023